Old 23-05-2005, 01:11 AM
Paul Gerst

Thanks. I had neglected the lawn last year so there is a lot of unwanted
matter on the ground. I am also planning on overseeding so I wanted the
highest soil contact possible.

How well do the vertical mowers work?

Peter H wrote:
"Paul Gerst" wrote in message

I have a question regarding dethatching....

There are 3 options...

1) Using a thatch rake
2) Using a lawnmower attachment
3) Renting a vertical mower

Which is the best, assuming money is no object. Which is the best for
the lawn?
Does anyone have any other advice on dethatching?

Thanks.

Are you sure that you have a thatch problem? Many people rip out the dead
grass from the previous growing season for no particular reason. It will
decompose and help to fertilize the new lawn growing in.

A thatch problem will force the crown of the grass plant to move up higher
than it was meant to. This is damaging to the plants and creates an
unhealthy environment.

If you do have a thatch problem I would recommend the vertical mower to
remove it. Be prepared for a lot of waste product.

Peter H