Old 23-05-2005, 01:22 AM
Stephen Moran

Default Trident Maple Leaf Stem Question

I purchased a lovely trident maple bonsai last year and it is doing quiet
well. It is extremely health and has a beautiful shape. My question is why
would the leaf stems be so long? Some are in excess of 4 inches. I visited
the National Arboretum yesterday to look at a number of trident maples and
the trees there have very short leaf stems. I clip new shoots to one or two
sets, but 99% of the leaves are on stems in excess of 4 inches.

What am I doing wrong, or what do I need to do to shorten these stems?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Stephen