Old 22-05-2005, 10:40 PM
George

"Gale Pearce" wrote in message

every time you notice that your water flow out of the main filter is

retarded a
little (usually about every 3-4 weeks on average), simply pull the

pre-filter
out and clean it Here is a link to a page which describes my filter set

up
(which is similar to yours in function), and shows the details of the
pre-filter. The trick is to prevent detritis from building up in the main
filter, and only allow pre-filtered water to flow through the main filter.

That
way, you are reducing the nutrient load to a level the main filter can

quickly
digest, and won't suck up particles into it that cause it to clog.

http://home.insightbb.com/~jryates/filter.htm

Scroll down until you see the pre-filter. I use a commercial pre-filter,

but
you can easily make your own.

Hi George - I find it interesting you have your converted pool filter
submerged in your pond, I had always assumed they would be used as an
out-of-pond filter

It was either that, or redesign the whole thing. Not an option for me because I
don't like the idea of puncturing my liner to run a hose/pipe through it to the
filter. And with the rocks around it, it provides a haven for other critters,
especially fry. And since it really doesn't matter if the filter is in the pond
or outside of it from a filtration standpoint, it was the easier solution.