Old 23-05-2005, 11:23 AM
Doug Kanter

"Doe John" wrote in message
On 20 May 2005 13:28:31 -0700, "SedumQueen"
wrote:

Try a mattock or pick axe to dig up the roots and stumps. That's what
my husband uses. If you leave the stems and roots, the plants will
probably sprout again or spread underground to another area where
they'll sprout. We've cleared a large area in our back yard that was
full of vines, weeds, brush, etc. As we clear another spot, my husband
digs up the stumps and roots and then we put topsoil and sod down.

DOug an Sedum:

BOth of you are probably right. SImple is best. I was looking for
something really fancy. Thank you

Two other simple tools: A very small camping hatchet is helpful, but get a
good one. Carbon steel is a little softer than stainless, which means it'll
dull more easily when you use it to hack at thick roots underground and you
end up hitting some stones. But, it'll also be easier to sharpen than
stainless. Keep a fine file handy with the garden tools for quick touch-ups
to the blade. And, if you want it to be scary-sharp, a sharpening stone is
the right thing. Check a good sporting goods store for both of these things.

A folding pruning saw is even better for removing underground roots. The
blade is so thin that it'll pass right through the soil as you cut through
thick roots. It doesn't sound like it'll work underground, but it does.
Might not be the healthiest thing for a blade to pass through soil with
rocks in it, but so what? You can get a cheap one for about $10.00.