Old 23-05-2005, 11:07 AM
Pat Kiewicz

BenGman said:

My sweet corn sprouts are all green and yellow. Are the yellow parts
dried out? I have been watering everyday-every other day, so i don't
see why they would be dried out (plus, its not very hot yet in the East
Bay Area of California). They just look sort of wilted and sickly
looking. I fertilize them, spaced them out about 1.5 ft. and i don't
think they have a diesease (although some of my tomatoes have leaf
spot). Help!!

It could well be the weather (if by 'not very hot' you mean highs under 70).
I saw a field of corn last Friday in the next county over that was really
pale/yellowed. It has been quite cool and a bit dry this spring (highs in
the 50s and 60s with only the occasional day hitting 70 degrees). The
most recent MSU extention service vegetable crop advisory alert mentioned
pale sweet corn and put it down to the cool, dry weather.

My own first planting of corn hasn't even emerged yet.

(attributed to Don Marti)