Old 23-05-2005, 03:15 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] crabapples!

One of my wild collected crabapples is growing apples--lots of them.
Dozens. It's been four years since I collected it, and this is the
first year that it flowered. I've got apple trees in the yard so I am
assuming that the bees pollenated it from them.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I should cut them off now before they develop
much more and weaken the tree. Right now they're less than 1/4" in
diameter. The tree is still in development--I'm growing a new apex
which is healing over the trunk chop very well, and I'm afraid that if
I allow the fruit to grow it might detract from this process. Any
thoughts?

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37