Old 23-05-2005, 04:07 PM
Jack

I have seen Dwarf Alberta's get mites if they are planted too close to a
house.

"David Bockman" wrote in message
9.11...
"alice" wrote in
:

"Natty_Dread" wrote in message
m...
Hi all -- I have two dwarf alberta spruces in full sun areas, one a
spiral topiary in a big container and the other a conical one planted
in the ground
in my front yard border bed. A couple of weeks ago, Adrian Higgins,
the gardening editor for the Washington Post, said in one of his
columns that alberta spruces planted in full sun run a high risk of
infestation from some
kind of mites (I can't remember what kind though). I'm wondering if
anyone
here has had that experience? I'm trying to figure out if I should
move my
albertas to a shadier spot to avoid damage to the trees.

Thanks,

Rhonda
Richmond, VA
USDA Zone 7

http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/en...hrubs/dwrfalsp
.html\

This article says that they can be victims of red spider mites..these
mites are extremely common.
The best contol is to hit the folliage everyday with a hard hose
spray. They are very small and this
is a non invasive control that works.

alice
Weaverville, NC
zone 6a

My experience has been that Dwarf Alberta Spruce, being a native to
mountainous high altitude areas with excellent drainage, can suffer in our
humid, sweltering summers here in the Midatlantic Zone 7. If one can
create
a suitable climate (good ventilation, excellent drainage, frequent misting
of foliage, acidic soil) then they do much better.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums