Old 27-01-2003, 10:09 PM
Rob Graham

Default Building a cold frame

"Dave P" wrote in message ...

I built 4 wooden frames recently - they may not last as long as brick
ones but they were much faster to complete and can be moved to where
ever I want them.

I've just looked at my sketches and see that I have 15" at the back
and 12" at the front, over a 4ft span. I'm glad to see that you also
mix you units !
This height gives me enough height to grow on seedlings and then plant
out my courgette plants.

Be aware that a 16 sq ft window will be heavy - OK for keeping down if
it is windy, but you'e ging to have to lift it. The other thing is
that at 4 x 4 ft you will have to step into the frame to get at
things.

As regards the brickwork - there s so little weight on it, I would do
what I've done on a low wall and that is to just use concrete blocks
laid on their side and cemented together for the foundation. I got
chipped blocks which were cheap.

Rob

I've a 4ft by 4ft windo that I am planning to use to make a cold frame. I
intend to concrete the floor then on this lay bricks to a height of 15cm at
the front and 55cm at the back giving a slope on the window (roof).

Does this sound adequate for height, we are new gardners and builders and
see it being used for seedlings to go on into the veg plot. Would a deeper
cold frame be an advantage for other plants?

On the building side would I need to add plastiser to the mortar and use a
DPC?

thanks for any tips,

Dave