Old 23-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Kay

In article , Phil L
writes
Kay wrote:
:: In article , Phil
:: L writes
::: I have discovered two of my plants[1] have some weird bugs on the
::: stems, these resemble woodlice but do not have legs, almost like
::: limpets, they don't seem to move at all, they are approx 6 - 9mm
::: in length and about half as wide, when squashed they are mostly
::: water, they have no eyes, tentacles, feelers or any other
::: protrusions, I've posted 3 small jpegs in the newsgroup
::: alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.
:::
::: [1] I don't know what the plants are neither, only that they are
::: woody stemmed, have multicoloured yellow and green (variegated?)
::: waxy leaves and thrive under almost any conditions, except with
::: these things on them! - there's an unsightly black deposit on
::: some of the leves and stems although you can't really see it from
::: the pictures, I just took a few snaps - if someone can ID the
::: plants, the pests may be identifiable from there.
:::
:: I can't find the pics, but it sounds like scale insect. They're
:: sap- sucking, and extrude a sticky residue which then gets black
:: sooty mould. They seem to be particularly fond of fairly leathery
:: leaved plants, citrus, myrtle, bay and so on.

I'll do an image search for scale insects, but they do look an awful lot
like mealybugs up to now...can you not access that pictures group?

I can, but I couldn't find your post. there was one headed 'bugs' but it
was someone else and entirely different bugs, and all the rest were
flower pics. I've only picked up the last three days - was it before
then?

--
Kay