Old 24-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Victoria Clare

"Spider" wrote in
:

ned wrote in message

"feebib" wrote in message

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of, or decrease the population of

the
pesky things?

The natural solution would be to encourage Dysdera crocota.
But it's fangs may persuade you that the woodlouse is the lesser of
two phobias.

Quite right, too, Ned! Dysdera crocata are great spiders (with fangs
specially designed for eating woodlice, for those who don't know).
I'm not sure if D.c. occurs as far north as Scotland, though.

I've never had a plague of woodlice, but if I want to 'lose' a few, I
put them on my compost heap. Perfect for them .. perfect for me.

Would a woodlouse-eating spider work to control woodlouse numbers? I'd
have thought the right environment would encourage both - the way you get
more buzzards when there are lots of rabbits about?

(I rather like wood lice, myself, but am not a big spider fan).

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall