Old 24-05-2005, 12:08 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Des Higgins" contains these words:

/snip/

The natural solution would be to encourage Dysdera crocota.
But it's fangs may persuade you that the woodlouse is the lesser of
two phobias.

--
ned

Quite right, too, Ned! Dysdera crocata are great spiders (with fangs
specially designed for eating woodlice, for those who don't know). I'm
not
sure if D.c. occurs as far north as Scotland, though.

I've never had a plague of woodlice, but if I want to 'lose' a few, I put
them on my compost heap. Perfect for them .. perfect for me.

Spider

Gasp; that is an uncanny number of people on one newsgroup that know their
spiders; I am impressed!
Dysdera is indeed a woodlouse killer although, I suspect you would need a
few million of them to make an impact.
Nice thought though :-).

I moved one from a bed last year and rehoused her in the front garden,
as she had decided that my family of juvenile crickets was tastier than
woodlice.

Crickets are back again, but have dispersed amongst all the stuff I'm
growing in pots. Last year a couple of survivors lived amongst the lemon
seedlings - well, small trees...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/