Old 24-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

Your biggest problem is that whilst Red Alert won't need any pinching
out as
it's a determinate, Shirley will as it's an indeterminate and needs growing
straight up with all side shoots pinched out, also needs it's growing tip
pinched out after 4 or 5 trusses have set fruit.

I used to grow Shirley commercially (on a small scale), and I never
pinched out the tip. True, the plants reached seven feet, but cropping
wasn't adversely affected - indeed, quite the reverse.

However, my greenhouse was treated in the winter with several
hundredweight of goat and rabbit manure...

If it's a sunny sheltered spot and we have a good summer then you will
probably find the Shirley will do OK.

Hope so - I've five outside already.

--
Rusty