Old 24-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Sacha

On 24/5/05 11:53, in article ,
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

I'll now be told "Oh everyone knows that" but I've just read that bananas
aren't fruit, botanically they're berries! Well!

Oh, everyone knows that!

All berries are fruit, but not all fruits are berries. Berries have the
seeds (viable or vestigial) enclosed in a succulent pericarp, so
(thinking about it) grapes and cucurbits should be berries, too.
thinks I wonder what a pomegranate is? /thinks

Plums, blackberries etc are not, they are drupes or aggregations
thereof, though the difference between a drupe (in the case of a plum)
and a berry escapes me, unless it's that the stone is more-or-less
attached to the stem.

function="dictionary"

"A fleshy fruit with a stone" - not a lot of help.

It will be once the aspirin kick in. ;-) Thanks, Rusty. I think.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk