Old 24-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Pam Moore
writes
On Tue, 24 May 2005 10:19:22 +0100, Chris Bacon
wrote:

A foxglove growing close to the stem of an old Wisteria has developed
a pecuiliar characteristic that I have not seen before. The leaves
and flower spike are normal with the exception that the flower spike
doesn't just get thinner and end in a point, it's got a rosette
sort of structure on top! Is this common? What is it for?

I once had a similar thing happen some years ago. A normal foxglove
stem with normal flowers all the way up, but the top one was a round
flower (as you say, rosette) at the top. I learned that it is called
"fasciation" (as in the RHS link).
Looking at it a friend said "It's fascinated"! LOL

Pam in Bristol

A round flower on a foxglove is called a peloric flower. This is not
the same as fasciation.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley