Old 25-05-2005, 02:25 AM
Jim Lewis

Nina wrote:
Kits, this is true of brine shrimp in an evaporating pond, and perhaps
for annual weeds in a drought, but I have never heard that this is true
of perennial plants. Can you cite an example?

I was told by our county forester (agric. extension) that
loblolly pines hit by pine tree borers bloom prolifically
the spring of the year they die (usually in late summer when
their damaged xylem can no longer function in the heat).
The needles are still pretty green in the spring but the
clouds of pollen wafting off of them can indicate a majorly
stressed tree.

We had two old apple trees die on us 4 and 5 years ago.
Both of them bloomed prolifically the spring before they
died; neither bore fruit that year, however.

I have heard of other examples of pre-death blooming, but
specifics don't come to mind at the moment.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++