Old 24-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Travis

TheGreatWarrior wrote:
Hello! I live in Ohio state, and I have a red Japanese Maple which
is about 11 feet tall, and part of the tree bark has been peeled
off. It is a thin, long stretch peel off, from close to ground, and
extend about 1 feet long with a width of 2 inches.

Some of maple tree branch has been completely dead, no new buds for
over a year, while majority still growing in good health. I am
thinking a way to protect my maple tree, especially the exposed
part after the bark peel off. My idea is either to pain it with
white primer, or water-based latex paint; or, get some adhesive
tape to cover the exposed tree trunk.

Should I even need something like a tree sealant to kill all the
potential molds and diseases? Is this sealant all that I need to
spray on the exposed trunk and avoid all the troubles of painting
and adhesive tapes ?

Just worry the expose tree trunk will become an ideal bed for
diseases, mold, or insects! Any feedback is appreciated!

Just leave it alone. Trying to seal it will only seal in any potential
pathalogical organisms.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5