Old 24-05-2005, 10:46 PM
Don S

Default Tomato suckers

I was looking through some of the info on the NCSU web site, and came across
the following comments in :

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8107-b.html

"Indeterminate types produce a shoot or "sucker" at each leaf axil. These
suckers, if left undisturbed, grow into larger stems and produce fruit."

and

"Plants growing in cylinders are normally spaced 3 to 4 ft apart in the row
and are not pruned; rather, the suckers are pushed back in the cage to force
them to grow upward in the cage."

I had always heard to pinch off the suckers as they appeared. I wonder how
much other "rules of thumb" I may be misusing. Are there any good web sites
on growing/maintaning tomatos in NC ?