Old 25-05-2005, 04:09 AM
Gail Futoran

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm trying to plant a yellow rose in memory of my sister in law. I
planted a Buck shrub rose, Golden Unicorn. It is more of a peach
colour than yellow. I looked on the helpmefind website and many of
those roses that they listed as yellow looked more pink or peach to me.

I would prefer an easy to care for rose, but if a hybrid tea is the
only thing that will give me a true yellow colour so be it. Can anyone
make some suggestions?
Thanks.
Beth
Central VA
Zone 7

I grow:
1) Teasing Georgia, which is an English rose. It
is a pale yellow but definitely solid yellow. Beautiful
bloom, large, sprawling plant, very healthy, very fast
growing. A recent offering so should be available.
I don't know how it (or any plant I'll mention) will do
where you are. Some that do well in my rather hot
area, don't do as well in cooler areas, and vice versa.

2) Symphony, another English rose, also a paler
yellow. Not as vigorous a rose but a lovely bloom.
I have two and I'm never sure if they'll last from
year to year.

I also grow several Noisettes but can't swear to
the colors right now - it's dark here. Let me
check tomorrow and I'll post again.

I used to grow:
1) Sunsprite, Floribunda, dark yellow. It gets an
8.5 ARS rating, which is rather high. I didn't have
much luck with it but again heat could be a problem.
2) Sun Flare, Floribunda, medium yellow. ARS
rating 8.3. Same problem as Sunsprite. I did
kill off a bunch of roses before I understood you
have to water every two days when temps are in
excess of 100, a drying wind blows constantly,
and roses are planted in lightweight soil in raised
beds! I don't lose as many roses now.

If there are any botanical gardens nearby, you might
also check there for roses that would suit you.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8