Old 25-05-2005, 09:32 AM
Gary

On 5/24/05 9:04 AM, in article , "Harold
Walker" wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I've been using some 2/3 year old compost, but it seems to be full
of weed seeds, I've tried putting some in the microwave but I'm not
sure it's been detrimental to the compost.

So what is the best/simplest way of getting rid of unwanted weed
seeds in compost?

How do commercial suppliers do it?

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Here is what an allotment holder did years ago.....built a fire and over it
put an ash can with about 6 inches of water in it....suepended a bag of
compost above the water and put on the lid...allowed the steam to do its

Now I like this one! I tried the oven and stunk up the house....I was not
impressed...whatever one does I think it should be outdoors...
Gary