Old 25-05-2005, 12:15 PM
Kay

In article , Phil L
writes
Kay wrote:
:: In article , Phil
:: L writes
::: Kay wrote:
:::
:::::
::::: I can, but I couldn't find your post. there was one headed
::::: 'bugs' but it was someone else and entirely different bugs, and
::::: all the rest were flower pics. I've only picked up the last
::::: three days - was it before then?
:::::
:::
::: No it's timed at 20:33 today and titled 'strange bugs'...although
::: now that I come to think of it, my (binary) server has a 2 - 3
::: hour lag, it should propogate to other servers soon...
:::
:: Got it now.
:: Top pic looks like scale insect, bottom pic doesn't, but the focus
:: isn't good. I can't see them in the middle pic.
::
:: Is the shrub an Eleagnus?

I've no idea, I've just had a quick look at eleagnus on google and they look
/similar/ although these are over ten years old and are still only about a
foot and half tall....I suppose I'll have to pick each scale insect off and
then spray with something? - soapy water?

Pick them all off, then do a few more inspections over the next few
months to get any you missed. Or not bother, just accept a permanent
small population - if the plant is outdoors, they will return from
somewhere. Plants will survive a small infestation with no problem - the
main problem is the mould and the stickiness. Washing with soapy water
will get rid of the black mould, but so will the rain eventually.

If there's too many to pick off, then you'll need a systemic insecticide
rather than a contact one.

All of this is if you think it's scale rather than mealy bug! You're the
best judge of that, since you have the beasties in front of you.
--
Kay