Old 25-05-2005, 02:57 PM
ajr

Default Broad and ruuner beans

Good afternoon,

A couple of questions that hopefully someone can quickly answer - as always
a quick trawl of the 'net has produced a dozen different answers!

I've been growing broad beans for a couple of years now and this years crop
has started to flower, but is very stunted; the tallest plant being only
about 2 1/2 foot. Every other year they have started to flower at about 4
foot, at which point I've 'pinched' the tops off; the plants have then
continued to grow to about 5 foot and produced lots of beans.

I assume that they are stunted this year due to lack off sunshine and the
cold weather, as I've never grown them in the same spot twice and the area
that they are in this year was well fertilize last autumn.

If this is the case should I pinch the tops off to create 'dwarf broad
beans', or will they shoot up if we get some warmer weather?

Runner beans - should these be fed with anything i.e.: tomato feed etc and
if so when i.e.: when they start flowering?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Andrew