Old 25-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Richard Sexton

In article , Happy'Cam'per wrote:
"djay" wrote in message
news:MfTke.589$tv3.377@trnddc06...

Excellent points about the SAE and Amano Shrimp. You would also do well
with several (4-6) Ottos. If you do get the Amano Shrimp DO NOT fert with
KCL. I have found that it will kill them.

I have Amanos and CRS in a tank that gets dosd with KCL and everyone seems
fine to me, no deaths.

An excess of chloride ions will hurt ammano shrimp, whether it comes from sodium chloride
(salt) or potassium chloride (KCL, used as a plant fertilizer as a source of
potassium). While the plants use up the potassium all that chloride is still
in solution and build up if you don't keep up with water changes.

Ammanos live in freshwater in rivers, but when freshly hatched they
are swept downstream to bracksih water. While the adults cannot tolerate
brackish water the youg will die without it.

Now, Ammonia, even in very small concentrations, ie ANYTHING non-sero
will kill thme overnight.

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org