Old 13-02-2003, 03:42 PM
Simon Avery

Default best software for garden design

"olrac" wrote:

Hello olrac

o what is the best software for designing gardens

Been trying out a few recently.

Geoff Hamilton's Garden Designer: Ish. Fairly easy to learn basics,
and nice reference of plants. Bugger all hard landscaping stuff
though.

BBC Gardeners' World 3d Gardener Designer 2: Too old. DOS based, very
clunky and very hard to use.

Europress' Charlie Dimmock one (not the water garden version).
Evolution of Geoff Hamilton's system. Not great but best of this bad
lot. Was with a bunch of new PC freebies that focussed mainly on video
clips (another one for DIY with Tommy Walsh) with not a lot of
content.

Dunno if I'd use garden design software in anger. Graph paper or
better, a sketch pad if you're artistic, give the most flexibility and
allow you to work on it onsite.

Personally though, I just like to start work and let it evolve. Big
hardscapes first then let the planting follow. The wife does the
plants.