Old 25-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Kay

In article , Spider
writes

Perhaps Steve would like a wild hedgerow complete with elderberry. They
*are* somewhat invasive, though. I wanted elderberry for my woodland garden
but, as another poster suggested, I got two different cultivated forms. The
nearest to the wild form (of those I have) is Sambucus nigra variegata.
Perfectly good plant for wildlife.

Certainly there's no need for cuttings. I suspect, anyway, that they would
not 'take' very well due to the hollow-stem contruction. Seed is quite the
best way to start off the wild form, if that is still wanted. Once
germinated, they'll grow so fast you'll think you fed them with rocket fuel.
Don't though. :~))

I suspect the invasiveness may depend on conditions. Elder grows well
round here, and comprises anything up to 50 per cent of the various
scraps of woodland hereabouts. But although my neighbour has one in our
boundary hedge, I am not troubled at all by seedlings - which is more
than can be said for ash!

--
Kay