Old 13-02-2003, 08:55 PM
Roger Van Loon

Default Cannas and Gingers

Charlie Pridham wrote:

Had several new ones last year which I brought in for the winter (until I
have bulked them up and can risk them out) Thing is they have not died back
as I expected, should I cut them down anyway or leave the new unflowered
shoots and only remove the old?

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Hi Charlie
I have no experience with Cannas, but as to Gingers -
You do mean the true gingers (Zingiberaceae)? In that case, there are
so many species that no hard rule can be given, I think.
For example, I found that my Hedychium gardnerianum grows much better
in spring if I leave the one year old stems on the plant. If I cut
them back, they are much slower to start (at least, mine are).
So if they remain green in winter, I leave them be, and eventually
thin out old stems later in the year.
Which does not mean that my treatment is correct...
Regards,
Roger.

--
Walk tall, walk straight, and look the world right into the eye.

You're welcome to visit my gardening page:
http://users.pandora.be/roger.van.loon/gardenp.htm