Old 26-05-2005, 03:08 AM
wendy7

Hi Vic, Sounds like you are doing everything right. I would check
the potting mix to see if it is ok. Not smelly or mushy?
Here is a url with some step by step instructions.
http://www.midpacificorchids.citymax...age/235341.htm

The stem or spike is called an inflorescens but not sure what
a branch is called?

--

Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

da wrote:
Now that my phal has finished blooming (pre-Christmas to Victoria Day
is a lot longer than I was expecting the blooms to last) I figure it
time to consider repotting.

The phal is in a clay pot with a 4 1/2" diameter across the top. It
now has six leaves and three aerial roots (after having none up until
a few weeks ago). The roots are the reason I have started to think
about repotting. They are long enough to rub up against the edges of
the pot. I don't know where they're going to get room to grow any
longer. Is this a problem or should I just leave them be for the time
being?

I'll leave the questions about how to repot until after I get a
consensus on whether it needs a new home.

I guess I'll also have to figure out if I should leave the plant as is
or cut it back a bit. The last time I cut it down a couple inches, so
I know that's a viable option, but I'd love for it to grow bigger,
more numerous branches (what do you call those anyway?). Maybe I'll
let it go for a while and see what happens.
--Vic