Old 25-05-2005, 09:48 PM
George

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

## Huh? What's to understand? The feed Co's producing catfish and
other
fish chows are making a profit by selling it at $5 to $6 per 25 lbs.
Some
ornamental fish foods sell for $5 and up *per lb.* Many people see that
as
obscene profit and use the cheaper foods rather than enrich some greedy
Co.

Fish food bought at pet shops generally cost more per pound than a pound of
Sirloin steak at a grocery store (especially marine fish food). This is
especially obcene when you consider that much of the product that goes into
it is by and large the leftovers from animal rendering plants and grain
processing plants with a little bit of choline chloride thrown in for good
measure (a product which the company my brother works for makes in huge
quantities for pennies for animal feed). Having said that, some stores
understand how obcenely expensive these products are. I frequent a garden
pond shop that is located about 5 miles from my home. They sell a generic
food that they buy in bulk and sell for about $1.99 for one pound bags, and
they still make a profit from it. Many farmers supply stores sell pond
fish food to farmers in bulk for far less than that per pound. Those who
say that Koi have special nutritional needs might think about what they are
paying for that little extra amount of nutition, which I have no doubt adds
little value to their food. If you are concerned about what your fish eat,
you can always suppliment their diet with inexpensive natural foods that
are likely to be much better for them in the long fun. I have found that
when I feed my catfish his generic food, the Koi prefer it to their own
food (which is also generic), and will play a game of cat and mouse with
the catfish just for the chance to get a morsel or two of the catfish food.
I have yet to loose a single fish because of their diet.