Old 13-02-2003, 09:51 PM
AST

Default Soil and pest question

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
In article ,
(AST) wrote:

you should make sure that all remnants of any perennial roots
have been removed,

What method do you find works? On one patch, I put the soil through a
1/2 inch sieve and it's still got lots of stringy bits :-(

Well...as long as you don't have anything dangerously vigorous (as I
mentioned previously-BINDWEED!)
It should well be ok...making sure all the large sections of root have been
removed.

My experience last year of doing an ornamental garden on a similar site
is that mulching with weed control fabric and bark has been 99%
successful (dog rose punctures the fabric)

To try and avoid a need for fabric with the veg, I've dug and sifted a
LOT.

Also, it may be very difficult/impossible to use fabric with certain veg
growth - especially for root vegs.

Are you going be Organic? What are you going to grow?

Not to excess :-)

Shame! If you can get nettles and comfrey leaves do make a liquid fertiliser
with them - it's far far better than anything chemical you can get - But be
warned...IT REEKS (Sp?) - Just fill a water butt or dustbin(make sure it
hasn't been impregnated with any pesticides or fungicides) with water and
add as much comfrey and nettle leaves as you can find (or just comfrey or
nettles - if you can't find one or the other) and leave it to rot
down...stir it up every so often, with a broom handle or something and when
it's really ripe (and you'll know when!) use it. Not too often...and you can
dilute it. There is a FAQ on the URG Website...the address of
which...has...slipped my mind whoops... but someone will undoubtedly
respond to this and chastise me.

(plan) Growing beans, courgettes, tomato, sprouts,
radish, salsify, hamburg parsley, land cress, tomatillos or cape
gooseberry

No Lettuce? No Spinach? No...Cucumber? No....Onions? TutTutTut!

You not gonna be planting none of those 'orrible F1's are ye? :@)

Oh..and just a tip, the land was used for lawn, you may find that you have
some lawn borne pests (how many and which ones can vary from none to
millions, depending on a multitude of factors, and luck) some include
wireworms and chafer grubs but they're not necessarily common. But the worst
pests(in my opinion) come whether you had lawn or not - Bl***y Snails! We
get
millions of the flippin things.

Well anyway, you may well have no need for this information...let's hope so.

Oh and over next winter, I'd recommend planting some green manures, issue in
august or September and leave to rot over winter, then dig in does good.

--
AST
"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough." - Albert Einstein