Old 25-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Larry Stoter

Lee Davison wrote:

Hi,
I came across these plant pretty deep in the woods, it looked like someone
was cultivating it wild. You can probably guess what I thought it was, can
anyone on here either confirm or deny what im thinking? Im aware there might
be many species of similar leaf shape.

http://www.geocities.com/ldavison10/WildPlant.html

It has certainly got my curiosity aroused!
Thanks
Lee

The problem, so I have been told, is that although identification of the
species is relatively straightforward, there are a number of varieties,
with widely varying concentrations of 'active ingredients'.

Typically, the variety that turns up in commercial mixed bird seed has
sufficient active ingredients to make a teetotal granny develop a very
slight flush.

On the other hand, a carefully selected Morocoan variety, developed by
the locals over the last 1000 years, would make a donkey's eyes cross at
100 m.

Of course, until a recent Home Secretary discovered that there were
other interesting side effects, apart from releaving constipation in
Black Labradors, plod got out his truncheon irrespective of whether it
was being grown for making door mats*, feeding the tweeters or trying to
lead feckless youths onto hard habits with crack.

*Some years ago, apparently, there was a big 'problem' because the EU or
perhaps it was the UK had supplied seed, money and advice to
reinvigorate the Bangladeshi hemp industry, not realising that all
cultivation of hemp had recently been made highly illegal, the
politicians in both countries not understanding that 'hemp' cultivtation
for the manufacture of of rope and 'canabis' are the same species. And I
think that 'jute' for all those very effective doormats is also the
same species.
--
Larry Stoter