Old 25-05-2005, 10:06 PM
spakker

Tim W wrote:
I have an urge to attempt to pave an sort of patio area with wooden
blocks. does anyone have experience or advice?

My thoughts were to use oak blocks, end grain upwards. I think they
would have to be two or three inches thick and if they are offcuts
from a green oak sawmill sliced up to the right thickness they

might
be 6" x 6" or 2" x 4" across. They would be laid onto sand and
wackered just like paving blocks.

I am unsure what sort of treatment they might need: oil,

preservative,
creosote? I am concerned that in dry weather they would curl up.

Nice idea. As I remember them, the timber blocks in the street were
rectangular, grouted with tar, and, though the memory's hazier at
this point, associated with tramlines. I bet they were drenched in
creosote.

I don't think seasoned oak would change shape too much; but like you
I'm not sure, given these will be exposed to the weather.

Thanks,

Oak because there is a local sawmill which cuts a lot of green oak for
fencing and building. They have mountains of offcuts. My instinct is

telling
me that if they are not as thick as they are wide they will curl up so

maybe
3" or 6" cubes would be the thing.

I can't find any web references to garden use, only a few to old street
cobbles. I don't know yet if I have had a brilliant and original idea or

if
there is a very good reason why this is never done.

Tim W

The wood will move with moisture changes and rot in contact with the
ground.Unless you turn it into the nearest thing to asphalt! By leaving gaps
deliberately ,as in decking, any movement will be hardly obvious.I believe
the Romans used the wetting of wood to split stone.