Old 26-05-2005, 12:21 AM
Stephen Howard

On Thu, 26 May 2005 00:00:11 +0100, Warwick
wrote:

Stephen Howard wrote:

On Tue, 24 May 2005 23:07:53 +0100, Warwick
wrote:

snip
They love an old bit of carpet!
My colony of slow worms moved in when I started laying out carpet as a
mulch in the veg patch - last summer we counted more than a dozen
adults...and a grass snake.

I think I've got a bit of old carpet up in the loft. Hessian backed stuff
too rather than foam.]

Good point.....foam backed carpet is no use at all in the garden!

I've now Holly proofed the corner (Holly being our old english sheepdog),
very carefully made it look a bit tidier without moving anything major, put
down a few boards across the ground and excavated easy passage under a
couple of fence panels to give them easy access to the other gardens.

I know I'd put a severe dent in the local slug population anyway, but in the
back garden tonight I only moved one slug to the area near the compost
bin. The slow worm(s) must be fairly ruthlessly efficient hunters.

Every little helps - but I reckon picking 'em off is about the best
way to keep the population in check.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk