Old 26-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Valkyrie

The problem all of you people are having with your deer fencing is that you
don't understand the "deer jump". They can make a high jump OR a wide jump
but not BOTH at the same time. They also won't jump into something they
can't get enough of a run to jump out of. I had huge vegetable and fruit
gardens in Idaho and Montana without any deer damage and used a 4 foot
fence, the second 4 foot fence ran 3 feet away around the outside. I used
metal fencing posts and chicken wire. This is an inexpensive and very
effective solution that has been used for years and it surprises me more
people don't know about it.

I just did a little Google search and found a Montana site that will give
you options to effective fencing, also one from the PNW area.

http://fwp.state.mt.us/wildthings/li...eer_fence.html

http://www.slugsandsalal.com/techniq...r.html#fencing

Val

"jerry" wrote in message
We have a garden with an electricfied fence that has four strands of
wire up to four feet. Recently we visited a neighor who has a garden
like ours but only has a deer fence that is 8" inches high. They
indicate at this hiegh it will stop rabbits and deer. Does this make
sense? I have seen deer jump our fence so don't know if height is
really an issue?

Jerry