Old 11-11-2002, 10:22 AM

Default Peanuts for Birds

"trevor.appleton" wrote in message
: Back in September my bird feeders were covered in greenfinches, colat
tits,
: blue and great tits, the odd tree sparrow too.
:
: In October they suddenly stopped coming so I threw the peanuts away and
put
: up fresh - they returned.
:
: A few weeks ago I spent 20 quid on a large sack of peanuts, and guess
what,
: yes they've deserted me. It it likely to be the peanuts (they are also
: ignoring the black sunflower seeds).
:
: I've noticed the peanuts are all slightly pecked along the full length of
: the feeders.
:
: Have I blown £20?
:
: Trevor
:
:
:
: ---

We have 7 feeders in our small suburban garden in SW London, 3 of which have
peanuts, the others mixed seed. The seed is definitely popular, but the
peanuts go too (the squirrels probably get the majority). I bought a small
cage type thing with fat 'cake' which came in various varieties. I chose
the one with insects, as I though it would be less attractive to the
squirrels. It lasted just over a week and was popular with the starlings.
I have had fat balls in the past but the squirrels just take the whole ball!
We've had up to 13 house sparrows in the garden recently.