Old 11-11-2002, 07:26 PM
trevor.appleton

Default Peanuts for Birds

I've never noticed any link with the rain fall. Only 2 inches here so far
this month compated with 5 inches in parts of Wales.

Trevor

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

trevor.appleton wrote in message
snip.

In October they suddenly stopped coming so I threw the peanuts away and

put
up fresh - they returned.

A few weeks ago I spent 20 quid on a large sack of peanuts, and guess

what,
yes they've deserted me. It it likely to be the peanuts (they are also
ignoring the black sunflower seeds).

I've noticed the peanuts are all slightly pecked along the full length

of
the feeders.

Have I blown £20?

Trevor

Hello Trevor
I don't know if it's as wet where you are as it is here? Seems to never
stop raining. One thing I have noticed is that the birds that come to my
feeders, mainly house sparrows, blue tits, great tits, the occasional coal
tit and long tailed tit, do not seem to like the peanuts very much if they
have got wet, and will peck all over the feeder to try them and then

reject
them. Lots of people feed birds round here, so they just go and see if
there is a better cafe open ;-)
Putting up fresh ones seems to bring them back again, and if I only just

put
fresh out and they got wet overnight I have resorted to emptying the wet
peanuts out and drying them in a slow oven. Then they'll eat them again.

HTH
Tina

---

---