Old 27-05-2005, 01:59 AM
das

"xxaurastarxx" wrote in message

I recently inhereited a crop of bamboo. The only problem is they are at
my aunts house in massachuets. I need to transplant them to my home in
NY. I have absolutly no knowledge of bamboo. How do I go about
transplanting them w/o damaging them. My uncle planted them about 7
years ago I believe and they are fairly large. I don't know what
species they are or anything and I have no way of finding out. I'd like
to atleast get a few of them if not the whole crop. They were very
special to my uncle and they are the only thing I have left of him. Any
ideas would be greatly appricieated. Thank you very much.

--
xxaurastarxx

******************************
To add my two cents: because you will be losing the nutritional and
moisture benefit of the massive rhizome system when making a division, you
probably should gently cut back the top of each culm by about half. If you
don't, it may expire due to transpirational loss until the rhizome becomes
established. Also, be very careful not to torque the culm/rhizome junction
when lifting out the mass and/or laying it over for transport. I learned
the hard way about both of these methods after transplanting some P. vivax a
few years ago. You probably need at least two to three people to help hold
and carry a division of even modest size to prevent damage. I also try to
keep as much soil as possible with the rhizome when digging it. This helps
protect the very small roots on the rhizome from physical damage and from
drying out in transport.

David S.