Old 26-05-2005, 11:37 PM

On Thu, 26 May 2005 20:17:25 GMT in da wrote:

Basically I'm doing everything wrong. g It's in a north facing
window (only direction my windows face) and the windows don't open, so
there is no temperature variation between night and day. It's also
about a foot or so away from the window pane. I don't have any growing
lights.

Sorry, one of your later paragraphs contradicts this one.
If the plant is putting out new leaves and has managed to rebloom,
you're doing something right.

Now despite my abuse g the plant bloomed for me, rebloomed after a
few months, has doubled its leaf count and has recently started
growing those visible roots like crazy. Even my moss has started to
green up. I've had the plant for less than a year, so I'm pretty
happy with it.

I really don't know what it is growing in. It's that dark stuff that
looks like regular old potting soil, but I'm working on the assumption
that it's not. I know there is some kind of orchid growing medium that
looks like plain old garden dirt -- I've seen reference to it either
here or somewhere on the Internet -- but I forget what it is called.
As I said in my first post, the dirt is covered with a layer of moss.
I guess it is some type of sphagnum. Ideally I'd like to keep the
plant in the same type of environment since it seems to be thriving
(or at least surviving).

I had a realization while on my afternoon walk.
Does it look like the plant is in peat moss mixed with perlite
or vermiculite?
sort of a tan when brown, darker brown when wet, and little bits of
what look like miniature ping pong balls in it?
Otherwise, does it look like small (.5-.7cm) chunks of perhaps
wood or bark?

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil