Old 11-12-2002, 12:11 PM
sacha

Default Peanuts for Birds

in article , at
wrote on 10/12/02 6:45 pm:

We used to live in Cheshire where birds-tits greenfinches used to scoff bags
of nuts very quickly.
In Devon their response is less enthusuastic and they go off the nuts after
they have hung around for a while-attacking a new bag when it is tied up.
May be the nuts are not so fresh in Devon, maybe the bag is not so securely
located.
The nuts are visited by robins, greenfinches tits juvenile goldfinches.
I have found that blackbirds like a secure perch when consuming berries, and
find it difficult to eat raspberries if they are not too rigidly supported.

I think the reason they take nuts more slowly down here is possibly because
summer and autumn last longer and there are still plenty of seeds for them
to take from gardens and fields. That's just my guess, though.
We put up nut feeders and the sparrows in particular go made for them, as do
the chaffinches. But they seem to be most active on these during January and
February, I'd say.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk