Old 27-05-2005, 08:18 AM
presley

I'm not sure that blossom end rot is a function of a tomato virus. My own
experience is that it is a symptom of unequal watering - too wet alternating
with too dry. Some people have also said that it's a symptom of inadequate
calcium uptake - and recommend adding some form of calcium to the soil. In
any case, I don't think it's related to whatever's causing your small plant
to wilt. The wilting problem sounds more like inadequate root system to
take in enough water to keep up with the transpiration needed in the extreme
heat you are experiencing. Even some well-established plants have trouble in
the heat of the day. I have some foxglove that wilt every day during the
midday hours when they are in direct sun. The rest of the day they are in
partial to heavy shade and they perk up immediately.
"Alan" wrote in message
ups.com...
A couple of weeks ago I planted out my tomato plants into containers on
a south facing patio. Now I've noticed one of the plants is wilting. It
seems to recover if moved into shade. It's ok for water.
Anyone an idea what could cause this. I've read about virus's causing
wilting, but usually its describing the symptoms at a later stage in
the plants growth. The plant is only about 30cm tall, and I've used
fresh compost from the garden center, although the cheapest 'compost' I
could buy.
Thanks, Alan.