Old 21-12-2002, 12:18 PM

Default Peanuts for Birds

"Peter Stockdale" wrote in message
: Following on from Paul England's posting :
: I have three mesh nut feeders and "my" birds contrive to consume about
12ft
: x
: 2 inch per week on average most of the year. No chance of dampness
: problems!!
: Am I correct in assuming that no harm to fledglings etc. will be done
: provided the nuts are not dispensed whole, or
: should we stop all nut availabilty during nesting?
: --
: Peter Stockdale
: Nanneys Bridge Nursery - Cheshire
:
I understand that modern thinking is that if the nuts are in mesh feeders,
the parents cannot take a whole nut and therefore the bits they feed to the
fledglings are OK.

A squirrel has just managed to chew through the wire mesh of one of our
brand new indestructible-squirrel-proof feeders :O((