Old 27-05-2005, 01:41 PM
Doug Kanter

"meirman" wrote in message
How do I grow grass here?

I used to endlessly read landscaping books, and although various authors
have assorted opinions on plants and flowers, they all agree on one thing:
Put pathways where people walk, not where you think they should be. If I
were you, I'd take the cheapest route: Cover the pathways with shredded
mulch, either hardwood or cedar. Cedar will last longer. Chunks get blown
around on windy days, or flung by bike wheels and foot traffic. Shredded
mulch tends to mat down more coherently, and stay put.

I'm seeing this done in quite a few parks here, probably because the towns
have an endless supply of mulch from cutting down damaged trees after
winter. You could use stones, but if kids are riding bikes on the path, the
stones will be flung onto the grass, and the mower will fling them around.
Might be harmless, but I just don't like that sound under my mower. If mulch
gets moved, you just grab a rake.

Here (Rochester NY), the local garden center is selling 3 cubic foot bags of
Canadian cedar or hardwood mulch for about $4.00. Each bag covers about a
5x10 foot area of my garden beds. Find a garden center where you can
actually speak to the owner or manager, and see if you can make a deal for
LOTS of bags.