Old 21-12-2002, 04:14 PM

Default Peanuts for Birds

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message
: This may be a bit mercenary, but wouldn't Darwinism support an argument
for
: just not worrying about whole peanuts in the knowledge that nature would
: quickly select in favour of birds which don't stick them whole down their
: chicks throats?
:
: I find that the peanuts go bad very quickly in feeders which don't
dispense
: whole nuts so I use them for seeds instead. Surely supplying chicks with
: small but contaminated nut pieces is more likely to kill them than the
: occasional whole but clean nut?
:
: Martin
:
Sure, but ours never stay around long enough to get contaminated - the
aforementioned grey squirrels make certain of that.