Old 27-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Treedweller

Default free mountain laurels

Free mt laurels (Sophora secundiflora) available now, all over town.

If you've ever tried to grow mt laurel from seed, you probably know it
can be very difficult to get the hard, red beans to germinate.

Now is your chance to get around that problem. This year's seed pods
are just reaching the point where they are maturing and starting to
change color. In the past, I've gotten near 100% germination (both in
pots and direct-sown) by taking the fresh, green (or pink) seeds at
this time, removing them from the pod and planting them. If you pick
the pods and let them dry out a day or two it will be easier to
separate them from the pod. After about 6-7 years, I have a potted mt
laurel that is about two feet tall and a direct-sown plant about 3
feet tall.

It's the slow-mo way to get these guys, but it's free!