Old 11-02-2003, 04:25 AM
Melanie Casey

Default 30 Roses To Start A Garden With

Susan H. Simko wrote:

Love that last line! That's exactly what I'm hoping DD does which will
make any fussing with a temperamental rose well worth it.

I have a Double Delight that I bought for $2 at Home Depot last year, I have it
in a container (all my roses are in containers), and it did wonderfully last
season, bloomed and bloomed, great fragrance etc. I had no idea it was
considered fussy. Actually, I see folks talking here about several roses that
seem to be considerd fussy or sickly that I have, such as Blue Girl, that I
have had no problems with...BG is actually one of my favorites.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I haven't lost or had difficulty with a rose
yet in the last 4 years of growing them. Maybe it's the climate...I'm in Sunset
zone 7 in the Sierra Nevadas...pronounced winters but hot dry summers, I guess
not friendly to fungus. I use large containers, mulch with spagnum moss, use a
water soluble fertilizer, and in the hotter months I water every morning by
hand. I'm growing all types, from the cheapie HTs to the OGRs that I had to
search the internet for. I find it a little funny because when I first started
with them I was told that roses in containers were very difficult. Seems to be
just the opposite sometimes. Oh well, to get back on topic, I won't name 30
favorites, but I will name a few:

Comte de Chambord (Damask Perpetual)
Royal Wedding (Shrub)
Chelsea Morning (Shrub)