Old 27-05-2005, 06:35 PM
David Ross

"Walter R." wrote:

Due to heavy rains in Southern California last winter we have a bumper crop
of snails. Our home is surrounded by aptinia iceplant. Apparently they
multiply in there and then crawl all over the house, especially the windows
and walls, leaving slimy trails and their empty shells.

What is the best and cheapest way to get rid of them permanently (this
summer at least)? I have tried the perimeter liquid snail bait. It worked in
prior years, but the snails may have evolved or they are stepping on each
others bodies to get to my windows.

I suggest the use of carnivorous decollate snails, which are legal
and available in southern California. See
URL:http://axp.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r107500111.html. Note that
decollates are NOT legal in northern California, where they feed on
native snails that might be endangered species. The brown snails
that create such destruction in southern California are not native
and thus not protected.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean