Old 27-05-2005, 07:53 PM
DigitalVinyl

"Doug Kanter" wrote:
The ones you buy in the store are almost useless, although
better than nothing.

I agree most look too small for my hands or too little support for the
plant. These is the only cages I ever bought and they are great. They
are too expensive but they last. This is my third year with them and
they show no signs of problems. They aren't rusting. I did find them
cheaper somewhere else last year and bought another set. I may buy a
third set this year.

I have no problem letting tomatoes plants grow wild in these cages.
Last years biggest plant was about 12' high. Stacked cages are strong,
although I always anchor them before windy september storms come. I
also used this to support spaghetti squash(grown vertically-not a
problem), cucumbers, & green beans.

I used two towers of these, one with a grape tomato the other
cucumbers and later green beans. The cucumbers only filled the first
cage. The green beans grew up the side of the cucumber cage then wound
round the top cage. The tomato filled both cages. I strung cheap
bamboo between the two and built support for shorter beans.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/