Old 28-05-2005, 12:18 AM
keith ;-\)

Subscribe to rec.gardens.orchids I have been using the group for a few years
now.Some great growers with sound advise.
Pam if the cymbidium has been growing inside for all those years and never
flowered,I would say it was the temperature that was the problem.Cymbidiums
are cool growers,so need a cool period to initiate flowering.The best thing
to do is around about know depending on what part of the country you
live,put them outside shaded from the sun.Bright but not direct sun.As the
new growths appear start to water & feed.Evenly moist & allow to slightly
dry between waterings or feel the weight of the pot.General plant liquid
fertilizer can be used,orchids do not need much fertilizer so some say
weakly weekly.But i feed mine when i remember or have time!I have a
greenhouse solely for growing orchids.Leave them in the garden
summer/autumn,when the temps start to drop bring them back inside and
hopefully you may have a surprise and find you have flower spikes coming
from the matured bulbs.
Day temps should be 75 to 85 f or more. night temperatures in the late
summer to Autumn (August to October) must be 50 to 60 degrees F to initiate
flower spikes. Optimum temperatures in winter are 45 to 55 degrees F at
night and 65 to 75 degrees F during the day. When in bud, temperatures must
be as constant as possible, between 55 and 75 degrees F or the buds may
drop!Hope this helps and hasn't put you off growing these fascinating &
addictive plants known as orchids,they are tougher & easier to grow than
most people think .

--
Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.
"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Dave Poole
writes

a lot of really good stuff about orchid growing.

Thanks David, inwardly digested. Could I possibly put this in our
Gardening club newsletter? Will leave the bit out about the garden
centre manager being a bit dim if you want, but as usual your advice is
clear and to the point and would be invaluable for the Indoor plant
growers.

janet

--
Janet Tweedy