Old 28-05-2005, 08:02 AM

On Fri, 27 May 2005 23:03:15 -0400, Don wrote:

After looking at the list of growing media at
http://www.vex.net/~jyd/TAVS/Docs/orchids.htm and viewing the photos
at http://www.kkorchid.com/1medium_potting.asp I'd have to guess that
you're right and it is some type of peat mix.

Your mix sounds somewhat like the "mud" on Rob's site.
http://www.msu.edu/user/harveyb/mud.htm
I have been testing this mixture for about 8 months now and so far it is
out performing all the other "normal" media that I use. Much to my
surprise! When I pot up new seedlings I put a few into this mud and the
others I pot in normal media for the plant. It is still to early in
this test to declare a winner but so far the mud is way ahead.
Thanks Rob!
I am in southern Ontario as well, so my growing conditions may be
somewhat like yours.
All the best
Don

It certainly does sound like my plant is in mud. g Now I just need
to find a supplier who will sell me an amount slightly smaller than
your average dumptruck load. I'm guessing all I need is a handful or
two, so that means the mixture probably comes in 10 pound bags.
--Vic