Old 28-05-2005, 06:27 AM
Rodney Pont

On Fri, 27 May 2005 19:51:23 +0100, jon wrote:

I've have been wanting to try a bead filter but could not afford it, I =

do
however have an old 5gallon wine barrel as you show in your pictures. =

Do
you have any plans of this setup and where did you find the beads for t=

he
unit.

I don't have a plan as such, apart from what I scribbled on a piece of
paper to work out what pipework I needed but I've tried an ascii plan
below, you will need a fixed font to make any sense of it but it may be
enough with the photographs. I may put another valve on the outlet to
force the backflush water through the tank.

I got the beads from http://www.aquajac.co.uk/, enter the site and
click on 'Beads and Fittings'. I got my valves at
http://www.koicarp.net/pvc_plumbing/valves.html I used the 1 1/2 inch
Valterra slide valves at =9C5.85 ex VAT, they do need sleeves to fit to
pipework, I made my own but koicarp can supply them, you just need to
ask. The unions also cam from
http://www.koicarp.net/pvc_plumbing/...vent_pipe.html and you can
get your pipework and fittings there as well. I got my bulkhead
fittings from a local Koi dealer. I don't know whether a solvent weld
tank connector will do for the inlet since the strainer must fit inside
it.

The outlet strainer was made from a piece of leftover UPVC ventilation
pipe I got from http://www.bes.ltd.uk (from the menu
Installation/Ventilation/Ventilation, Ducting & Accessories) the 100mm
EasiPipe (I wrongly put 125mm on the photo - I'll change that). I
bought most of my solvent weld waste pipe and fittings from them as
well but they had stocking problems this time and it took ages for me
to get things. A large B&Q might have things but you will have to make
sure they can be sovent welded. I got my solvent from B&Q.

For the end caps of the strainers I cut two thin bits off each pipe and
cut a section out so that the circle would fit inside the pipe. I cut a
circle out from bit of flat ventilation pipe, also from that page at
bes, and sandwiched it between the two bits of thin pipe and solvent
welded them in place. I used two bits of flat plastic for the top of
the outlet strainer and chamfered the edges so that it would screw over
the bulkhead fitting. Plasticard from a model shop should do for the
caps.

The inlet strainer didn't have any slots cut in the end cap since I
didn't want any water spraying up and disturbing the beads.

If you want any advice on building this you are welcome to contact me
(see my sig). Unless someone else in the group is interested :-)

__________||
/ _________ |
|| ||
|| _||u_
|| ___| |___
|| | |
|| | |
|| | |
|| | |
|| | |
|| | |
back || | |
flush ||u | |
valve =AA |_____ ______|
|| ||_______
|| | ___V___u
u ^
inlet
valve

u is where I put a union so that I can dismantle it

--
Regards - Rodney Pont