Old 28-05-2005, 12:38 PM
Henry

Sara wrote:
We would like to go back for more plants closer to the fall and we would
dearly love to have some starts of this rose bush. Any advice and/or
helpful hints would be greatly appreciated!

Here are some links that might prove helpful:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/s.../roseprop.html
http://www.laroses.homestead.com/Propagating1.html
http://www.rosemagazine.com/pages/propagating.asp

PS Not rose related, but there was also a tree there that my dad said was
always called the "sugar pear" tree. It was original to the house, so dated
about 1850. I dug up some of the seedlings growing around the ancient tree
and they are doing well in large pots for now. He said it has small round,
extremely sweet fruits. Has anyone heard of this tree...I can't seem to
identify it?

I've seen both Seckel and Ayers pears listed as "Sugar Pear". There are
many pear varieties and you might try asking in a fruit growing
newsgroup or forum somewhere. The age of the tree might be quite useful
to those who know these things since it would remove anything more
recently introduced from contention. I suspect taking pictures might be
useful too, but I don't know.

In any case, it is unlikely with pears that seedlings will produce the
same fruit as the parent.

--
Henry