Old 28-05-2005, 09:03 PM
shazzbat

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Stephen Howard wrote:
On Sat, 28 May 2005 13:21:28 +0100, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

shazzbat wrote:
[...]
, and the undersoil irrigation
I put in the greenhouse on the allotment, made out of some waste
pipe and fittings I rescued from a skip.
[...]

That's interesting, but counter-intuitive to me: what's the

advantage
of having the irrigation underneath?

Saves water.
Less evaporation.

A good reason. So you don't get a problem with the holes blocking up,
or over-enthusiastic roots getting in?

--

Not so far. It's the first year I've used it, I can just pour a couple of
cans of water in, and it goes right to the roots. I'll post later in the

After everything is over for this year, I plan to put a T in the pipe, lead
it outside and connect to the guttering so it gets watered inside the
greenhouse when it rains. Sometimes work prevents me getting to the
allotment as often as I like, so this will hopefully prevent some losses.

Steve